Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dessert or snack? What about both!

I was recently walking in the bakery isle of Whole Foods when I noticed these beautiful looking candy-like coconut covered balls. If you ask me everything covered in coconut looked good but I drawn my attention to the sticker that said: no sugar added. What do you means no sugar added, what the heck is in these balls. Well they were made of date. Then I though to myself, Humm this look simple enough, I should be able to do it too. Well follow these step and I can promise you that you will have a winner snack/ dessert. Your kids won't know it's healthy because it looks like its not!
We will call them the coconealthy balls

Ingredients
- 1 cup of pitted melhool dates chopped.
- 1 cup of dried apricot cuts chopped
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of dried sugar free cranberry or blueberries.
- 1 cup of walnut
- 1 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 1 cup of 70% dark chocolate morels
- 4 tablespoon of orange juice

Recipe
1-In a food processor mix well dates, apricots, cranberries and walnut.
2- Add 1 cup of the shedder coconut and 3 tablespoon of orange juice and pulse a few more time.
3- in the means time melt the chocolate
Morels in a double boiler. Add 1 tablespoon of water and mix well until fully melted, about 5 minutes.
4- With the help of a watermelon spoon , make small balls. Using a work gently dip half the ball in the dark chocolate and then the other half in the coconut.
5- Repeat this step for the remaining of the mixture adding orange juice to shape the ball if needed.
6- Cover airtight and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment