Monday, November 21, 2011

I  had an image coming to my head this week-end. I love the holidays and I love Christmas. I was cooking, enjoying a glass of white wine and listening to Christmas music (yeah I am aware that we are in November) I remembered when I was young and my grandmother made doughnuts. It's a long time ago, well over 20 years, and yet, I can still remember how she gently put each one of them on layers of paper towel and slowly covered them with powered sugar. I decided to share this very traditional recipe to you and I hope you family will enjoys it over the holidays.


French Canadian old fashioned doughnuts


Thanks Debs for the picture

- 5 cups of flour
- 5 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable shortening
- 1 1/3 cup of milk
- 4 egg whites

- 4 egg yolks



 Recipe


1- Use a large copper, stainless steel or glass mixing bowl, and make sure it is clean and chill for 10 minutes.

2- Place the egg whites and salt into a large , tall bowl and set your mixer to medium-high speed and continue beating egg whites on high speed until they form peaks with tips that stand straight when the beaters are lifted. Insert the spatula into the meringue along the side of the bowl.

3- Mix the egg yolks, sugar and shortening together until smooth. Slowly add to the meringue one tablespoon at the time.Do not stir. Stirring will deflate the egg whites. Lift the meringue from the side of the bowl and fold it over the ingredients. Work around the bowl, lifting and folding, until the ingredients are incorporated into the meringue.

4- In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder. Gradually add to the meringue mixture alternating with the milk until it creates a smooth and thick dough.

5- Refrigerate for a day or minimum of 3 hours.

6- Pat out bread dough and use doughnut cutter to create your doughnut.

7- With the help of a deep fryer at 375 F , deep fry a few doughnuts at the time until they are floating and golden brown then turn them to the other side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.

8- Let sit on paper towel to absorb the remaining oil. Dunk in powdered sugar !  

 

Ingredients



No comments:

Post a Comment