Sunday, October 23, 2011

My French Canadian version of the Apple Chutney.


I had a recipe that I wanted to try tonight. It consisted of shrimp, orzo and a mixture or plain yogurt, mayonnaise, mango chutney and curry powder. Usually when I want something to eat really bad, I usually either make it from scratch or go to buy the necessary ingredients. I did not have any mango chutney, neither did I had a mango in my house. It is not something readily available in my small town of Quebec and I did not grow to have them in my house but this might inspires I had apples thought! I thought how hard can it be to make chutney, ill just replace the mango but the apples. Well, I ended replacing the sugar by maple syrup and adding some ground clove by mistake! Wow, at the end it was so good I could have eaten it by the spoon! I thought I would share this recipe with you and this might inspires you as well! I tried to take some pictures: to tell you the truth, try to take a close picture of chutney, and it did not look really appealing. Therefore I would like to thanks Ella's Kitchen Company LTD to allow people like me, who are in dear need of a good picture, to use theirs ( and thanks to Flicker new creative common as well).
This chutney can be used with pasta salad, with a plate of cheeses and crackers, with chicken kabobs and even in hot dog served with a turkey sausage!

Ingredients  
- 5 cups of granny smiths apples peeled, cored and finely chopped.
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger roots (peeled).
- 3/4 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon of kosher sea salt
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
 
Recipe  
1- In a saucepan add the olive oil and cook the onion on medium heat for 2 minutes.
2- Add the garlic and cook for an extra 1 minute.
3- Remove from heat, add the apple cider, lemon juice, maple syrup, spices, ginger and salt. Mix well.
4- Add the finely chopped apples and simmer for 30 minutes at low heat.
5- Remove from heat, cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before use

No comments:

Post a Comment