Friday, October 21, 2011

Maple Syrup bacon wrapped jumbo scallops. Say what?
 
On Sunday I decided to treat my hubby to something that I do not cook very often. Not that I do not like scallops, do not get me wrong. It is just not such the kind of dish you bring to your table every night. I wanted to do something special for him that night and I went out of my shell. On the menu was; maple syrup bacon wrapped jumbo scallop, barbecue Halibut with seasoned almond crust, sauteed kale, garlic and tomatoes orzo polished with some garden vegetables. I was looking for something to plate my scallops and decided to try some of that balsamic reduction I introduced to you in my last post. Oh my goodness, this was one of the best call I ever made. A pairing made in heaven! The sweetest of the maple syrup crust, the savory of the bacon combine with the sourness of the balsamic is to die for. Try it and I promise you that you will have some fan!


Maple Syrup bacon wrapped jumbo scallops

- ten jumbo scallops
- five long pieces of bacon, cut in half (vertically)
- three tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- three tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 lemon
- one teaspoon of sea salt
- balsamic reduction
- aluminum foil
- toothpicks




Recipe


1- Place your oven rack on the top part of your oven. There should be about six inches in between the rack and the element. Pre heat your oven to broil at 500 ° F

2- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum paper.
3- Cut the extra fat on your bacon. The fat from the bacon takes longer to cook than the scallops which do not require a lot of cooking time. It will allow your bacon to be crispy.
4- Take each scallops one by one and wrap a piece of bacon all around the side. You should leave the flat part (top and bottom) uncovered and only wrap the bacon around the sides.
5- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the juice of half of a lemon to the butter. Mix well.
6- Using a baster, baste the top of the scallops with the butter-lemon juice mixture.
7- With a cooking syringe or a small spoon drizzle maple syrup on the top of each scallops.
8- Place on the top rack and cook for six minutes.
9- Remove from the rack, turn the scallops and repeat steps six and 7.
10- Place on the top rack and cook again for seven minutes.
11- Remove from the oven, remove the toothpicks and plate with a fine drizzle of balsamic reduction.

  

One more day of waiting!

As you probably know it, in Quebec we love our bread. We like it thick, smooth, moist. This post is an ode to my love for good bread. I have recently purchased some really good balsamic vinegar reduction that I cannot wait to try with some of my homemade bread! I went to the farmer market and I met that very great guy named Norm. He explained to me that he made his own balsamic vinegar reduction in Whistler, BC. If you want some real Italian flavor in your kitchen makes sure you tried this Nonna Pia's gourmet balsamic vinegar. I had the choice among strawberry-fig, classic, rosemary and citrus. After trying each of them, I decided to go with the first one that I had tried; strawberry-fig. The price was really good and I could not believe how good was his bread. He said that he made the bread himself and that the dough did not required kneading. Enough was said already; I needed this recipe. Norm told me that many recipes were available on web site including this fabulous bread recipe.
This being said, I could have the balsamic reduction just like this, on a spoon. The good part of me decided to wait for the bread to be ready which is tomorrow morning. On completion of the recipe, I will send you picture.
Here is Nonna Pia's website http://www.nonnapias.com/

I have been making this recipe for the passed year. I have changed it a lot in the last few months and tried to make it as healthy as possible. The beauty of it is that you can change some of the ingredient to you are liking or with what you have on hand. I eat this granola with yogurt in the morning or plain with soy milk. You can even make it kid friendly by adding some ingredients your kid loves!


Easy Healthy Granola Recipe

Ingredients
- Eight cups rolled oats (don't use quick oats as they will burn too easily)
- One cup of flax seed
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds
- One cup of bran
- 1/2 cup of sesame seed
- One cup of millet puffs
- One cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- One cup of chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts
- One cup of wheat germ
- 1/2 cup of agave nectar
- 3/4 cup of honey
- One cup of coconut oil or vegetable oil
- One tablespoon of cinnamon
- One tablespoon of vanilla
- One 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One cup of raisin
- One cup of cranberries or goji berries

Recipe
Preheat your oven at 300 ° F
1- Mix the first nine ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
2- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, add the agave nectar, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, salt. Bring to a small boil (about five minutes)
3- Slowly pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Make sure the dry ingredients are well coated.
4- Take two baking sheets and lay some parchment paper over it. Spread the mixture evenly over the two baking sheet.
5- Bake for 25 minutes at 300 Degree F.
6- Remove from the oven and add the cranberries and raisin evenly. Mix a little to spread.
7- Place the parchment paper on your counter to allow the granola to cool. At this point it will not be clump. Wait for 30 minutes until storing. The granola will then be clump.

Pickled Summer Vegetables !

I just visited my local farmer market tonight and found quite a few varieties of vegetables that were organics, locally grown and very affordable. I took the occasion to buy a few pounds of baby parsnip, garden carrots, beets and radishes. The healthy roots vegetables are also perfect for pickling. Two weeks of maceration is all that is necessary to preserve these vegetables. Personally I can't really keep them that long on a shelf. Not that I can't, but they always get eaten the first week they are ready. Why? If you like olives or pickles you will understand. There is just something about it, the sweetness mixed with the sourness. A little crunchy, but not too much. It perfect to eat with meat, as a side, in a presentation plate for appetizer or just to snack on. There is no sugar in this recipe so it's relatively healthy (except for the sodium). But unless you drink the liquid, which I doubt many people do, you don't have too much to worry about.


Here is my version of summer vegetable pickle.
Give 6-7 250 ml Mason jars. 
 Ingredients
- 4 cups of vegetables such as: parsnip, green beans, beets, radishes, carrots, cauliflowers, baby cucumbers.

- 3 cloves of garlic

- 3 cups of water

- 1 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar

- 3 tablespoons of sea salt

- 6 fresh basil leaves, 2 stick of fresh oregano or tarragon.

- If you like it spicy add 2-4 jalapeño pepper. 

 

Recipes
1- Cut the vegetables in thin slices. You can make the mix you wish. For the cauliflower, cut in small floret.

2- Sterilize your jars by boiling them with the lid and the rim for 10 minutes minimum. They need to be fully covered during the boiling process.

3- In a large bowl mix the water and salt. Mix well.

4- Add the white wine vinegar and mix well until salt is entirely dissolved.
5- Crush 3 garlic cloves and add to the water mixture.

5- Add the desired spices.

6- Once your jars are sterilized, place them on a non contaminated area and start your layering. Place item by colors. Leave 2 inches in the top. Do not overfill the jar, you will need space for the liquid.

7- Fill the jar with the salt, vinegar liquid, leaving the spices.

6- Seal you jar and make sure they are airtight. Store in a dark place for a minimum of 2 weeks maceration.

No comments:

Post a Comment